Sunday, July 7, 2013

EDTECH Challenges

The challenge that educators are facing today because technology training is not available or put in the forefront of purchasing devices is a big one that can be addressed in various ways. While things are quickly being developed in the educational technology world, it is even hard for someone like me, who has a passion for it, to keep up.  It seems like we all need to change our mindset from a fixed to a growth mindset when it comes to technology.

Last year, our district adopted Google Apps for Education in the spring.  We had one training on email and that was it.  I created my own PLN, watch this video to see explination, and started to build it using twitter and googgle+.  I then attended the Google Rocky Mountain Summit and my eyes to Google Apps for Education became wide open.  I embraced the new technology and learned as much as I could, even applying to the Google Teacher Academy in December.  My own drive and dedication to this new process was not embraced by my peers in the same way that I had embraced it.  I then realized that the training we didn't receive on Google Apps, didn't make people run out there to discover it on their own.  In fact, they just were not educated about the tools that could help them in so many ways in their instruction and in their student's lives.  They didn't know, what they didn't know.

Overcoming this challenge that everyone is facing is tricky and there is no one solution.  Teaching about PLN, EdCamps, and other various resources that are available will get some to discover many incredible strategies used in technology,  However, I believe that choice is the way to go.  Giving people choices of what they want to learn is imperative in creating a growth mindset.  There is that other challenge though of "you don't know, what you don't know".  To overcome this, you must have your lead teachers, technology team leaders, Google Certified Teachers, and anyone who can showcase what new tip or technique they are using with technology to others.  This sparks interest and gets more people to move forward on the technology train.

My plan of action is clearly stated in the video.

NMC Horizon Report K-12 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment