Sunday, July 13, 2014

You Can't Have Your Cake And Eat It Too! Teaching Scarcity to Students

Continuing down my Project Based Learning path, proved more difficult this week.  As an educator, ideas come easy to me, but specifics don’t always flow as quickly.  In PBL, however, not planning out specifics could mean an unsuccessful unit for your students.  But also as an educator, that has been trained in the teaching-learning cycle, I know the key is to go back to the standards of what kids need to know and plan accordingly.  So that is what I did.

When revisiting the Colorado Department of Education social studies standards, I found fabulous resources that helped me tremendously.  Colorado Personal Financial Literacy Expectations put things very simply for me.  I continued from there making sure the standard was being addressed.  Changing my title of my project to: You Can’t Have Your Cake And Eat It Too! gave me the emphasis on scarcity that I needed.  Scarcity could actually be a theme for the entire year in a classroom because you can cover many standards you need to teach in science and social studies and still be incorporating the term scarcity.  Whether it’s scarcity of water, food, technology, or goods and services, it can all apply to our teachings.

The next resource that helped me was the Colorado Council for Economic Education.  This resource has many tools available for educators for all ages.  They are solid lessons and some are even interactive.  

This week, I will share my Tools and Resource page for my financial literacy PBL project as well as my Project Timeline created with lucidchart.  I'm enjoying the lucidchart chrome extension the more I use it.

mind mapping software

No comments:

Post a Comment